Crispy Chicken Nuggets with Sriracha Caramel
For the chicken nuggets
- 3 Sicín Sásta chicken breast fillets
- 2 tsp sea salt flakes
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- Plain flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Panko breadcrumbs
- Sunflower oil, for cooking
For the sriracha caramel sauce
- 200 g light soft brown sugar
- 125 ml double cream
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tbsp whiskey
- 2 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 4 portions cooked jasmine rice
- Pickled red onion, optional
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Note: Leaving the chicken to tenderise in buttermilk overnight is highly recommended but not mandatory, so this meal can be made on a whim.
- Cut the chicken into generous cubes, about 6 pieces per fillet, place in a medium sized bowl.
- Season well with salt and pepper then pour over just enough buttermilk to cover the chicken. Toss to coat.
- Cover bowl then leave overnight.
- For the sriracha caramel sauce, place a large pan over medium heat. Add the sugar and cream, stir while cooking until the sugar has melted. Leave to boil for about 5minutes, then whisk in the salt, whiskey and sriracha sauce. It will bubble up as you add them, just continue whisking. Remove from heat and pour into a heat-safe jug. Set aside at room temperature until needed.
- Pour about 3-4cm of sunflower oil into a large pan. Heat over medium-high heat.
- While oil is heating, prepare the chicken nuggets
- Sprinkle a dinner plate or similar with some flour and pour the beaten eggs into a bowl. Spread panko breadcrumbs onto another dinner plate or similar.
- Remove a few chicken pieces from buttermilk with a slotted spoon or fork and drop into the flour, toss to coat. Move floured chicken to the egg and toss to coat, then finally, coat in panko breadcrumbs. Move crumbed nuggets to a clean plate. Repeat until all of the chicken has been coated.
- To check that the oil is hot enough, the surface should have a slight rippling effect, dip a wooden skewer into it, if it starts to bubble on the skewer it’s ready.
- Using tongs, carefully arrange some of the chicken nuggets in the oil, leaving space between them, and cook until golden underneath, about 3-4 minutes. Turn nuggets over and cook for another 3-4 minutes. (If they brown too quickly, lower heat, you can also add another drop of oil to help cool it quicker.)
- Remove cooked nuggets and leave to drain on paper towel while you cook the remaining nuggets.
- To serve, divide cooked jasmine rice between serving bowls. Arrange cooked nuggets on top of the rice on one side of the bowl, then add some kimchi and pickled onion, optional. Drizzle generously with sriracha caramel sauce then sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.